Feb. 24, 2021
Alcon announced that Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength (olopatadine hydrochloride ophthalmic solution 0.7%) is now available in-store and online at U.S. retailers, following its 2020 approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for sale over-the-counter (OTC).
According to Alcon, Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength is “the first and only eye allergy itch relief drop offering a full 24 hours of relief without a prescription in the U.S.”1
“The introduction of Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength brings a full 24 hours of eye allergy itch relief over the counter for millions of Americans with eye allergies,” said Sergio Duplan, president, Alcon North America. “We’re thrilled to provide access to the strongest concentration of olopatadine, previously the #1 doctor-prescribed eye allergy itch relief ingredient, to consumers in time for the spring allergy season.”
Approximately 66 million Americans (1 in 5) suffer from ocular allergies, but only 7 million use an over-the-counter allergy eye drop to relieve their symptoms.2-5 Alcon says its Pataday portfolio of products offers fast, long-lasting eye allergy itch relief to the U.S. population affected by allergic conjunctivitis.6 Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength provides a full 24 hours of eye allergy itch relief from pollen, ragweed, grass, animal hair and dander for people ages two and older with one drop once a day.
Other Articles to Explore
Since 2008, more than 40 million prescriptions were written for olopatadine, the active ingredient in Pataday.7 Additionally, 58 percent of buyers of Pataday Once Daily Relief and Pataday Twice Daily Relief were new to the OTC eye allergy category.**
“For years, prescription Pazeo was my go-to for patients with itchy, allergy eyes in need of quick, 24-hour relief. Now, I’m excited to be able to send them to their retailer of choice for Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength and the other Pataday options, confident they’ll find relief despite lifestyle needs,” said Tania Elliott, M.D., Allergist, New York, NY.***
This launch will be supported by a full-scale media plan, including online, digital and TV advertising campaigns to reach eye allergy sufferers and healthcare professionals. Timed with the product’s mass availability, the campaign will pull through to digital platforms, in-store activations and partnerships with celebrity and social media influencers detailing their experiences with eye allergies and how Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength is helping them find all-day and night relief from itchy allergy eyes.
Pataday Once Daily Relief Extra Strength is now available in the U.S. in select stores and via online retailers, such as Amazon, Walgreens, CVS, Target and more. Widespread commercial availability will begin this month in all major drug, food and mass-market retailers.
Click HERE to learn more.
1. PAZEO® [package insert]. Fort Worth, TX: Alcon Inc; 2016
2. Gomes PJ. Trends in prevalence and treatment of ocular allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 14: 451-456.
3. Singh, K, Axelrod S, Bielory L. The epidemiology of ocular and nasal allergy in the United States, 1988-1994.
4. US Population Census 2019. 6. Nielsen Household Panel Data Feb. 2019.
5. Nielsen Latest 52 weeks 2/6/2019
6. Friedlaender MH. Ocular allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;11 (5):477-482. 2. Wong AH, Barg SS, Leung AK. Seasonal and perennial allergic conjunctivitis. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. 2009;3(2):118-127. 3. Miraldi Utz V, Kaufman AR. Allergic eye disease. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2014;61(3):607-620. 4. Singh K, Bielory L. The epidemiology of ocular and nasal allergy in the United States, 1988-1994. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;126:778-783.
7. Data on file. 2019.
** IRI Data on file
*** Dr. Tania Elliott is a paid consultant for Alcon.